Rail and public transport are a well-defined market in the use of SMC (Sheet Moulding Compound) globally. Rail and public transport applications typically require the specific measures of stiffness and surface performance levels with the added requirement of the toxic impact from fire and smoke. Composites are used extensively in the rail and public transport sector for this reason. They have a long history of being the materials of choice where specific performance and safety standards are required both externally and inside the train.
CME composite materials are halogen-free thus avoiding toxicity.
Typical applications include:
- Wall paneling
Benefits of Composites
- Strong, durable, and structural – can be consolidated with adjoining steel parts
- Lightweight – weight reductions of around 25 percent
- UV protection – can be painted
- Fire retardant – can be formulated to meet a large number of standards
- Part Consolidation – reduces the number of assemblies, moulds complex shapes
- Same coefficient of thermal expansion as steel
CME Value Added Services
- Material Innovation and Customization
- Project management
Quality and Other Certifications