CME has been supplying moulded advanced composite parts to the automotive industry since the 1970’s. A tier one supplier, CME is considered a key supplier of advanced composites and new lightweight technologies to the automotive industry.
CME is a current supplier of a range of moulded advance composite parts using SMC (Sheet Moulding Compound), BMC (Bulk Moulding Compound) and (LFGC) Long glass fiber thermoplastics. These parts have proven to be a ideal solutions for vehicle weight reduction, design freedom, and provided the automotive manufacturer with reduced investment and timing benefits. Targeting steel, SMC and LFT-D has proven effective in providing the automotive industry with lightweight structural and decorative solutions’ particularly where stiffness, strength and temperature performance is demanded by the OE.
Our support includes design, prototyping, tooling and moulding, assembly and supply. This is all supported by a state of the art advanced composites painting facility.
Typical applications where SMC and BMC are widely utilised within vehicles include:
- Exterior body panels – tailgates, hoods, and deck lids, tonneau covers – Class A Finish
- Spare wheel tubs and covers
- Under-body aero shields
- Valve covers, oil sumps head light reflectors
- Storage trays, storage box reinforcement beams
Benefits of Advanced Composites
- Strong, durable and structural – can be consolidated with adjoining steel parts
- Lightweight – weight reductions of around 25 percent
- UV protection – can be painted
- Fire retardant – can be formulated to meet a large number of standards
- Part Consolidation – reduces the number of assemblies, moulds complex shapes
- Same coefficient of thermal expansion as steel
CME Value Added Services
- Material innovation and customisation
- Project management
Quality and Other Certifications